Originally Posted by Beaver10
As most here can attest - speaking specifically about Jordan. He knows I’m not too scientific. 😬

But, I have probably as much or more experience than some here on killing public land elk. Approaching 70.

I’ve killed or been next to a hunter gunning a 30-06, 7mag, 270 Win, 300 Win, 300 Roy, 300 Ultramag, 30-370 Roy, 7mm-08 and a 28 Nosler.

Range has been between 842 yards at the tips, and as close as 60 yards.

Aside from a poorly made shot. All had died quickly with either one and done, or quick follow up shots to anchor it.

The unfortunate mountain rodeo retrieval has always been due to a bad hit with several follow up air ball shots. Caliber and bullets don’t matter much if you’re not connecting with tissue.

The only situation where I was personally behind the scope that had me miffed, was a cow hunt a couple years ago. I sunk a 140g Abond iirc, from a 7-08 behind the shoulder of average sized cow - 325lb ish that was *static* not under any stress.

I hit her at 425 yards. She absorbed the hit, and looked unfazed from what I could tell after coming off the recoil. Without indication that she had been hit,,,,,aside from the audible tell of my round slamming into her.

I had to watch the cow for several minutes to make sure I was still watching the elk I had hit,,,,,Mountain erupted with elk going everywhere at the break of my shot, and without any visual indicator the cow was hit, I had to wait until all the elk had moved away, leaving only the one cow. She was still standing, not swaying, finally she lowered her head and took an unstable step.

I hit her again about 2.5 inches apart from my first shot. That stoned her.

I recovered both rounds. One on the opposite side shoulder. The other under the hide on the opposite side....Good penetration on both bullets.

It’s still a mystery why the first shot didn’t provide more visual confirmation of a hit...Elk, can be a tough critter sometimes. That’s just a fact.

🦫

My god!! You got a pic of that bone pile??? That’s some serious bull killin!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.