Originally Posted by gssixgun
Originally Posted by memtb

I’ve posted this link before, for those that are completely enamored by foot/pounds of energy being the quintessential basis for measurement of effective killing power! Foot/pounds energy, as mentioned by many, is “only” one of many factors involved in lethality of a bullet!

For those that completely “buy-in” to the foot/pounds energy school of thought, please read this.....
if you dare! memtb

http://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

The fallacy of reading things one way,,,, look at your wording, NOBODY said that !!! you said it in your mind and blocked out simple facts in evidence from my OP

Reading Comprehension is helpful

On the subject of reading things one way! You have yet to explain how and who (other than some bureaucrat in the Colorado G&F) has determined that 1500 ft/pounds of energy, is the determining prerequisite for the ethical killing of elk? Again, as many have mentioned and you seem to ignore, there are a multitude of factors other than foot/pounds energy!

I am in agreement with much of your OP, yet you seem to be hung-up on the mythical 1500 ft/pounds energy concept! It would be extremely enlightening to ascertain how this number was arrived at....and why did not the Colorado G&F combine the “mythical”/“magical” ft/lb number with other criteria. Many folks, hopefully you are “not” one of these people, simply look at the energy number .....yet fail to factor in other components to a lethality potential of a cartridge! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/24/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024