Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by gssixgun

So something like a accurate low recoil round like a 7mm-08 maybe sporting a Barnes 140 TSX ???

Which also carries 1500 FP out to 300 yards (Factory loads) you mean something like that, amazing it fits that OLD preachy axiom too shocked

'Pooter, you need to look up "axiom" in the dictionary. It means unquestionable or self-evident, neither of which fits here as made painfully obvious by this thread. In Boddington's case, even the guy who originally wrote it now questions it. So it's more like a myth, that's been busted. By one of the originators no less.

Here's a simple yes or no question for you. With your 7-08 and 140 TSX are you saying it's OK to take a shot at 300 yards, but not at 350 or 400 because you'd be below 1500 ft-lbs?

PS, Jordan, don't hold your breath......

First YES Jordan PLEASE hold your breath ... I lost all interest in you after the first dumb thing came out of your typing

Smokes Poles

See when you ask a pertinent question I will gladly answer..

No
I never said don't take the shot, your closed mind keeps you from understanding it.. I can't say it more times, as I said it in my OP it is a suggestion, a recommendation, a guideline NOT set in stone.
You just showed just how ignorant you really are to think that the Elk is going to know the difference of 50 yards, I was right you don't know jack about ballistics..
The shooter needs to know his rifle, and obviously his capabilities, we all know the odds begin to stack against hunters here in the US once the range goes past 250 yards, there is no magical impact formula that covers bad hits. (as I said in my OP)

The problem you have is that you are so wrapped around your ego that you can't see straight.. Everything you have tossed out there trying to pigeonhole the axiom, I never said, you added it, not me.

That 7mm-08 load holds onto quite a bit of steam out to 500 yards, if the shooter can make the shot and the angle looks good heck yeah float one out there, that is where we each have to decide on our own capabilities matched with the rifle..

I don't tell people what I think is ethical, if they wound an animal and it goes over that far ridge I am pretty sure they are going to make a half-assed attempt to track it and will quite soon give up and convince themselves they missed it completely. We all know what happens if they manage to make the shot, and down the elk, we can read it in many statements on this very thread..

I do think there is probably a higher percentage of good shooters here on this forum as compared to the general hunting population, I mean if we weren't more interested, we wouldn't be here trading barbs over something I am right about

Slaying Orcs