Originally Posted by gssixgun
Originally Posted by 805
Soooo what is the minimum caliber for elk??🤔🤔😁😁
The 1500 ft lbs of “knock down” power is something that’s been preached from a time when there weren’t many choices of bullets or cartridges.
With today’s array of bullet choices and cartridges. I’d rather see someone using a rifle they shoot and practice with all the time vs someone who thinks they have to take their grandpa 340wby cuz elk are so big and you need “knock down” power but can only sight it in off a lead sled cuz it kicks to much. A well placed bullet that disrupts tissue and causes massive trauma is what I prefer.

So something like a accurate low recoil round like a 7mm-08 maybe sporting a Barnes 140 TSX ???

Which also carries 1500 FP out to 300 yards (Factory loads) you mean something like that, amazing it fits that OLD preachy axiom too shocked

Sure something like an accurate low recoil 7-08 would work fine but I wouldn’t be shooting a 140TSX. My personal preference would be the 140gr Berger VLD or similar which also carries past 300 with plenty of VELOCITY to aid in said bullet doing exactly what it’s designed for.