Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by rocky_mtn
I gave them my SSN... my only thought is that Cabelas entered something wrong, but they aren’t about to run a background check again on me just to make sure (I asked).

This ^^^^^ would be my guess as well. Someone at Cabelas fat fingered or misspoke something. I have only ever had one delay. Put my middle initial on the 4473 instead of my full middle name. Once my FFL was on the phone, he guessed at my middle name (guessed wrong). And I was delayed for three days. Lesson learned. Don't take short cuts on the 4473. Fill out everything completely. Zero room for errors...

Happened to my wife at the local Walmarks, trying to buy a shotgun. Dumb bimbo behind the counter apparently couldn't read and entered wife's SSN wrong, then proceeds to tell wife that she must have filled out the form wrong when the background check bombed. They go round and round with the idiot behind the counter refusing to admit she fugged up the SSN, until my wife finally told her to stick the shotgun up her ass and walked out.