Dad's family from the days when they lived on a farm just outside of Dover, Tn. Grandad lost his mind one day at Belleau Wood and Gen. Pershing pinned a DSC on his chest. Saved a bunch of his buddies that day, but seldom talked about it afterwards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dad joined the Army circa '37 and wound up in the Air Corps. Stationed at Sebring Army Airfield doing maintenance on such relics as the B-10 bomber and not long after becoming an instructor.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

When WW2 erupted they decided they needed more instructors and that was his task throughout the war. They did not let him entirely off the hook however and he spent some time at Kadena AFB with a B-29 Squadron that was delivering the mail to Korea.

He retired in early '71 just before I headed over to Nam for the second round. His last duty assignment was In Thailand as Chief of Maintenance for the 355th TFW, aka Wild Weasels. He reported to that job before I came home from the first tour. Apparently he never lost his sense of humor, not even in Thailand.

An uncle from my mother's side of the family was a crewman on B-24s with 8th AF during WW2. Waist gunner IIRC. He took two parachute rides and called it quits. Have no pics.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 02/25/21.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain