I have traced 11 members of my family who wore blue in the Civil War, 3 killed in combat - one at Chicamauga, one at the Battle of the Wilderness, and one at Gettysburg.

Grandfather was too young for WW1, but served in the National Guard between the wars. His older brother was waiting to report for duty in WW1, when he was paralyzed in a hunting accident. Ironically, he died of his injuries on 11/11/18. Grandmother's brother served in France during WW1, survived the Spanish flu over there, but made it home and lived into his 90's.

Dad was fortunate in that he served in a coastal artillery unit guarding the Panama Canal during WW2. Always had lots of interesting stories about the natives and the jungle wildlife. Seems he had a pretty good time there. His half brother was killed crossing the Rhine in 1945.

Mom's brother, T/Sgt. James Hulings, was KIA on his 28th bombing mission with the Mighty Eighth, age 21.

Sister's first husband served two tours in Viet Nam, came home with a Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts. Suffered from drug addiction and died young. Her second husband served as a dentist on the USS Forrestal during the Vietnam War, continued practicing dentistry in the VA hospital in Tampa until his retirement. Told me he could have doubled his pay in private practice, but felt he owed something to the veterans. A true Southern Gentleman.

Last edited by JeffyD; 02/26/21. Reason: spelling

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"