After graduating from Georgia Tech as an Electrical Engineer, my Dad joined the Navy in about 1941. He was an engineering officer on the USS Christopher, DE100.

After the Christopher was sold to Brazil, he was involved in mothballing the Naval ships in Fl. He spent 20 years in the Navy and Reserve. My brothers and I never knew he was in the reserve until he passed away. He just didn't talk much about for some reason. He wasn't very happy when I told him I wanted to join the Navy after school and was thrilled when I found out that the Navy was cutting back on enlistment after Vietnam and my chances of getting in were 0 to none.

He said he never had to dig a fox hole and his food was always hot. His positive reasons for joining the Navy. He said that he was stationed on a floating target for German ships, but that they were built to fight Subs and very well equipped to do just that. He also said that there was a question as to whether or not the steel used in constructing their ship was substantial enough to set off an armor piercing shell from an opposing ship, or would it just pass on through. I'm glad he didn't find out.

This is him on the right, on the bridge of some ship, that isn't identified, in the 1950's we think.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry