Really just depends on what type riding you want to do - all the dual sport & adventure bikes have things they are best at.

If you're not sure exactly what you want I wouldn't buy one of the high end adventure bikes just yet.
Honda makes a 500cc that really does better on the street, but has enough suspension travel, etc. that you can do fine on lighter off road stuff and doesn't cost a fortune (usually less than $7,000), but it's not as good as a larger displacement bike at fast freeway speeds - but can get about 80-85 mpg and does well at normal highway speeds.
Suzuki makes an old school 400cc that is carburated and liquid cooled that is similar to the 500 Honda and about the same price.

If you want something that will get it all done, doesn't cost a fortune (right around $10,000) and is dependable the Yamaha 700 Tenere is a great bike.
It will run down the freeway at fast speeds and has great off road suspension as well.This bike is easy to ride and will go anywhwere you want to go and does not have much in the way of electronic/tech/gadgets on it.
If you go off road you turn off the anti-lock brake system - that's about it.

The big 650 thumper/single cylinder bikes from Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki are better suited to off road. The Kawasaki is best on road but not as good off road (liquid cooled).The Honda is best off road (better suspension), and the Suzuki is the best all arounder in my experience.
None of the single cylinder bikes run as smooth down the road, and the Honda and Suzuki are air and oil cooled and can have overheating issues with extended highway mile use.

The big adventure bikes don't sound like what you need or are looking for and are expensive, but are great bikes.
The BMW GS1250 can be ridden coast to coast with ease if you want to and still be ridden off road, but in my experience is a little heavy for extended off road.
The KTM Super Adventure bikes are a little better off road than the BMW, but aren't quite as good on the highway/freeway.

Lot's of video reviews out on you tube on bikes to watch.

Really just depends on how far and how much you will be riding, and how much you want to spend,etc.

For my money, best value on a bike for the type of use you are looking at is the Yamaha 700 Tenere,
or if you want less expensive and aren't doing really long road trips give the 500 Honda a good look - might get you by until you figure out what you really like.

Good Luck,
-Ted smile