Originally Posted by scottprice
I’m hunting for my first street legal bike and I’m mainly looking at bikes like the Suzuki Vstrom, Triumph Tiger, Yamaha Tenere, Aprilia Dorsoduro, Kawasaki KLR/KLX, Ducati Hypermotard, Multistrada and Scrambler.... as you can see there is a crossover/dual sport theme here...

I expect to be nearly all road riding but would enjoy the ability to rip around if I want to on some roads and trails. Not technical single tracks, just dirt roads and trails. There will be some highway use so it can’t be a slow bike but I don’t need a rocket.

Let’s hear some feedback on these bikes. What are some regrets you had after your first purchase that you wish you considered before buying that first bike? What are repair costs like on them? Overall durability? General advice is appreciated too

Edit: I also looked at supermotos but I’d imagine you cant ride for any real length of time on those. I’m sure it’s a blast for hour or so rips, more than that and I think my ass would hurt

EDIT2: I should note that I’m 5 foot 11 and 220 pounds.

Looking back at your post, if you are getting back on the road and it sounds like that is your primary interest, how about a true road bike?

A naked or standard like the SV650 or FZ-07 as examples in lieu of a dual-sport or adventure bike?

I got back on the road after a 29 year layoff, previously on a 650 Maxim (a true squid in college and lucky to have survived) buying a Ninja 400. Light, quick, FI, ABS and cheap at 5,400 brand new. I was not sure if I would even be comfortable on the road and the N400 is basically a naked or standard with plastic. I ended up being comfortable and traded the Ninja 400 for a Ninja 1000, the 1000 for a ZX14R, and bought a KLR650. The KLR being less than fun on the road, recently snagged a KTM Duke 690 naked for short rides and around town commuting.

You may find room for a second bike, one bike is not the best at everything.

There are thousands of good deals on bikes right now but the market will thin as the temperature warms.

Dave