I've ridden every type of bike there is, rode bikes exclusively for years, road-raced, and done countless training schools and clinics. I don't currently ride on the street. I've often thought about returning to it and the probability that I will in the next few years is pretty good. I feel like I'm in a similar situation to the OP because I'd have to choose a first street bike in some time. Yet I'm not a new rider, and I'm not young and immature. I don't know how old Scott is, but I don't think he's in his twenties anymore.

For my taste, the "adventure" bikes are stupid heavy. I would pick a BMW GS for international adventure travel but if serious transcontinental travel is not the goal then it is needlessly heavy. If the focus was more toward emphasis on off-road but with long-highway capability then I would pick the Honda XR650L.

It might be a mistake to hold onto any vestige of "offroad" if it will really be a street bike. The only appealing feature on the street could be the light weight, but it's exclusive to the weak ones. The offroad-styled street bikes with power are all heavyweight. If you're going to pay the weight penalty, doing it without the offroad styling pretense has advantages.

The Goldwing and the BMW K1600 are the best for touring on US interstates unless you want to do it on a Harley. For less ambitious destinations, the best choice can depend a lot on what kind of roads you have around you because without traveling longer distances, you're stuck with the types of roads near where you live.

If you live where the hills or mountains are enough that the roads curve through them, then I would prefer the Sport Touring bikes which seem to be all discontinued in favor of the adventure touring bike trend. Still, two bikes from the past that I can highly recommend: the Honda VFR800 and the BMW R1100/1200 S. They still make new VFR800 but I do not think they import them to the US since around 2017. Either of those bikes is absolutely fantastic for twisty roads while still being comfortable and forgiving compared to a supersports bike.

If you're a flatlander and you're not going far, get a Triumph Rocket 3 or a big-displacement (>105") Harley. My preference besides the Rocket 3 would be one of the now discontinued dyna's with an S&S V111 motor but some people are more softtail/fatboy types. Also consider a British classic bike like a vintage Norton. They're awesome as long as you don't need to go far or in a lot of comfort. For modern standards, I'd look at the current model Honda CB500F and the current model Triumph Trident 650 or the Suzuki SV650.

I don't know everything though. I got to the point where I was focused exclusively on superbikes and road racing and flat track for training and stopped riding on the street. I missed out on a lot.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 02/26/21.