The motor they put in the Vstrom 1000 is a great engine. I road raced that engine. But the Vstrom is a turd. The factory superbike was a failure too in spite of the engine that was very good for its time and class. It was aborted because of a focus on 500 Grand Prix (Kenny Roberts Junior's championship) and then the GSXR1000 in AMA. The only bike where this engine really shines is in a Supertracker: https://www.cycleworld.com/supertrackers-dirt-track-looks-to-future/

I addressed the OP because they indicated an interest in "adventure" bikes but it was also written, "I expect to be nearly all road riding" and long durations were also mentioned. I expressed my own opinions while encouraging the consideration of other types of bikes based on the given rationale. If my post seemed self-absorbed it might be because I felt I can relate to the OP. If it seemed to address circumstances other than the details provided by the OP later in the thread, it's because there are other people interested in this thread too. In any event, I won't get crude. Enjoy your bike.