Originally Posted by DonFischer
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by pete53
hunting ammo should be full length resized and yes there are reasons ,the main reason safety. now target ammo is it for just range shooting ? or competition ? for range shooting both works fine. the best bench rest competition shooters full length resize ,so what does that tell you ?

I can’t remember the last time I FL sized brass for any of my hunting rifles.........

The chambers in factory rifles are generally so oversized even NK sized brass can sometimes be interchanged between rifles.

First time or two I neck size with FL die. After that I FL Size and make the case's fit the chamber they go in. I think this bump the shoulder and Partial sizing discription confuse a lot of people. I use partial but I think some people just don't get it. You cannot bump a shoulder without sizing the whole case to some degree! If you could the base of the shoulder would roll out a bit and you probably couldn't chamber the round again without FL sizing again. Setting up the FL die as directions say to do, re-size's the case to SAMMI spec so that the case will work in every rifle of that cartridge. Partial sizing size's the case to fit a particular chamber only. Then it could go to SAMMI max or if you have a headspace problem, simply match the chamber! Bumping the shoulder simply is nothing more than partial sizing. Many people feel the need to use cute catch words to describe a process, bumping the shoulder is one of them. You can neck size with a FL die but move the shoulder at all and neck sizing ends and you are full length sizing at that point. I'm pretty sure if manufacturer's didn't say to adjust the dies the way they do there would be law suits sooner or later for guy's screwing it up. So the safe way t have people adjust the dies is to SAMMI min spec and make the case fit in all chamber's for that cartridge!

There is no danger presented when you cannot chamber a cartridge because it needs a shoulder bump or body sizing. Inconvenience, yes...bit no danger (unless you're facing a critter than can eat or trample you). Bottom line: the less you have to reduce the dimensions of a fired case to reload it and make it functional again, the better. And straight necks matter. OTOH, a case reduced in dimensions too much CAN be dangerous.

Last edited by RiverRider; 03/13/21.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.