Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by pete53
You'll never see a deer from 300 yards where I hunt. I've killed over 80 deer with my .30-30's and never had one go more than 75 yards after the shot yet. Most go down in less than 50 yards and while I've rarely needed a blood trail, the few times I did it was always there. If I need/want one to drop right there, I shoot high shoulder, neck or head. That is regardless of what cartridge the rifle in my hands is chambered for because I've seen plenty run after being shot through the lungs with everything from a .22 mag. to a 338.

i buck hunt near the Canadian border in Minnesota deep in a huge Tamarac WET swamp that i have cut 2 - 300 yard shooting lanes by hand with chainsaw and hand saw, the only way to get a bigger buck out of this nasty Tamarac swamp is with a J8 Bombardier track machine that most people have never even seen ,rode in and probably have no ideal how to use or drive, i have dragged bucks out by hand alone when i was young but not anymore. its no place for a 30-30 or a place to shoot little deer ,its cold, wet, snow, many times below zero and its best to kill the buck quickly and get the Bombardier ! but if you just wanna shoot a deer a 30-30 is fine, i no longer hunt just any deer when i go to the Tamarac swamp to hunt, i like a bigger cartridge to kill a bigger buck sometimes those old bucks die hard. i also won`t brag on how many deer,bucks or what cartridges or bow i have used or post pictures, i am just a hunter who stated my reason for not using a 30-30 i have nothing to prove but my 257 Weatherby mag. will kill
bigger bucks dang hard and farther away too than a 30-30 ever will , its a free world use what ever you want bow or rifle, i hate long blood trails at night and during the day when i should be waiting and watching for a nice buck. good luck to all,Pete53

Well we ain't allowed to cut 300 yard shooting lanes through our State forests and wilderness areas here. Neither are we allowed to drag them out with ATV's. I've killed some darn big bucks back in those woods with my .30-30's and brought them out by hand. I don't hunt from stands much and I'll be damned if I'm hauling around a magnum rifle with a pole vault of a barrel just to shoot a deer at 50 yards.

i own the land, so i can cut lanes i want and these bucks have a chance to grow bigger including the smaller deer ,i see no reason for me to shoot little deer anymore i let the ladies and kids take a few smaller deer.in my family. but i will always use my one shot Magnum no track`em rifle back in the Tamarack swamp. ATV`S can`t get back in my Tamarack swamp need a track machine like a J8 Bombardier and muck boots on to get a nice buck out. another thing big Whitetail bucks are dang sneaky and very nervous so stand hunting many times works best up here in the North/snow country. glad you shot some nice bucks,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman