I am not a deer hunter and have only shot six of Alaska's little island deer. The six 165 grain Nosler Partition's out of my 30-06 did the job. None of them was over fifty yards and I am pretty sure a 150 grain 30-30 bullet from about any maker would of had similar results. If I lived down south in America I would have me one of them there "thuty thuty" Mod. 94 Winchesters and fear no deer!

My friend who is much braver then me carried a nifty little Interarm's Mauser in .223 Rem. and some factory 55 grain bullets and his two deer fell over dead to a lung shot with two of those little bullets. I would of used my 788 Rem. .223 but I figured it would be just my luck to run into a Montague Island brown bear, a real 9' footer like old friend and guide Maynard "Perk" Perkins and Duncan Gilchrist poured five rounds into from their .308 Norma and Winchester magnums on their deer hunt in the 60's. Old Perk said they started getting hits on the bear when it was about twenty feet away in the pucker brush. After it fell down he said they naturally just kept on shooting, as it seemed the right thing to do, crapola!
"

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 05/08/21.