Today was the best condition at the range since I started to work with this CZ457 and scope. The wind was very low. Cattails barely moved all day. You could watch the pollen move in the air, but with a mild cloud cover shadows and glare were minimal.

Found this old picture from the previous scope mount on this gun using a non adjustable ring setup from an old 22. In the vertical test I only had used 12 MOA and 24 MOA of elevation due to the approximately centered scope alignment.

[Linked Image]

When Big S recommended a more extensive test, I wanted to use the extra travel gained by the Burris mounts that are currently set with about 25 MOA of offset on the 457.
I did some reading last night after a web search and found a helpful article in the Precision Rifle Blog titled, "Tactical Scopes: Mechanical Performance Part 2." There were some interesting test setups for that article on more expensive scopes. But the basic idea was very similar to the paper run that Big S showed in his post.
I used a large piece of cardboard at 50 yards and a level to plumb the vertical line on the multiple sheets of paper. The low extended cross is very helpful when setting in. It showed any gun cant I was adding in on the bags. There was over 50 MOA of adjustment available in the turret. My zero is slightly off the limit stop of the twist on the bottom of the travel in the scope.

I used a box of SK Pistol Match today to run this target with 3 shots on the way up each 10 MOA and 3 more on the way down.

Rifle and Bag set up.

[Linked Image]

First three shots going up in elevation.
There is a Cold bore first shot High and Right of the Hold Point.
And I jerked a called flyer in the second group at 10 MOA of elevation on the third shot.

[Linked Image]

This picture shows the numbers and the groups after the 3 shots were added on the way down.
Need more time to do some more testing with the windage now.

[Linked Image]

Before packing it all up I ran a few CCI standard velocity out on steel at 100 and then 200 yards. The 100 yard target needed 4.5 MOA of elevation and the 200 needed 20.5MOA.
I was shocked to see three white splashes on the steel ring at 200. This is my best group at that distance so far with this rifle. Having the low wind was a pleasure today.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bob_B257; 07/10/21.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......