Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by irfubar
I like the category Juniper put me in......

What category does a retired, fixed income, working stiff, living on a 7Acre RANCH!, in the remotest region of California fall into?

I'd like to know so I don't cross social lines here on the 24Hour Campfire.

Committing faux pas is not in my genes, but it's a definite possibility if one goes around uninformed.

In the olden days, I heard it was possible to be banished or some scheidt for daring to cross social lines.

Not only that, it was frowned upon by all classes.

Methinks Western Juniper has attempted to redefine the caste system.

Brother Geno,

As you apply pointed out, these categories "they" try to put us in leave a bunch of us out. Luckily. But that is the essence of America... no?
I think W juniper is trying to make a larger point. The point being, they are succeeding in corralling most into categories and using that to control the people.
"They" hate independent thought and actions... they hate free people exercising freedom and firearms represent freedom, and also make it harder for them to take that freedom from us.
This forum is comprised of many of what I would call "glorious bastards" and that is a good thing...... smile
So your choices in life put you in a category of your own!
And Beav is at Safeway looking for Bourgeois sauce..... he too is a glorious bastard.... see how that works?

Anyhow me thinks you fella's are being a little hard on W juniper.... or maybe not, time will tell... wink

It's been a while, but IIRC Charles Murray in "Coming Apart" postulates that if you know anybody that knows anybody who owns a pick-up, you're not a member of the elite!

PS: Overview

Charles Murray describes what he sees as the economic divide and moral bifurcation of white Americans that has occurred since 1960. Murray describes diverging trends between poor and upper middle class white Americans in the half century after the death of John F. Kennedy. He focuses on white Americans to argue that economic decline in that period was not experienced solely by minorities, whom he brings into his argument in the last few chapters of the book. He argues that class strain has cleaved white Americans into two distinct, highly segregated strata: "an upper class, defined by educational attainment, and a new lower class, characterized by the lack of it. Murray also posits that the new [white] 'lower class' is less industrious, less likely to marry and raise children in a two-parent household, and more politically and socially disengaged."[2]

Additionally, Murray writes of several differences he sees forming between and causing two emerging classes—the New Upper Class and the New Lower class—among which are differences in or lack thereof in regards to religiosity, work ethic, industriousness, family, etc. Murray goes on to provide evidence that religiosity, work ethic, industriousness, family, etc., have either remained strong or have weakened minimally in the New Upper Class, whereas these same attributes have either weakened substantially or have become almost nonexistent in the New Lower Class. Much of his argument is centered on a notion of self-selective sorting that began in the 1960s and 1970s, when he argues that cognitive ability became the essential predictor of professional and financial success, and people overwhelmingly began marrying others in the same cognitive stratum and living in areas surrounded largely by others in that same stratum, leading to not only an exacerbation of existing economic divides, but an unprecedented socio-cultural divide that had not existed before in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coming_Apart_(book)

another tome that I devoured recently.........

The Storm before the Calm

The master geopolitical forecaster and New York Times bestselling author of The Next 100 Years focuses on the United States, predicting how the 2020s will bring dramatic upheaval and reshaping of American government, foreign policy, economics, and culture.

In his riveting new book, noted forecaster and bestselling author George Friedman turns to the future of the United States. Examining the clear cycles through which the United States has developed, upheaved, matured, and solidified, Friedman breaks down the coming years and decades in thrilling detail.
American history must be viewed in cycles—particularly, an eighty-year “institutional cycle” that has defined us (there are three such examples—the Revolutionary War/founding, the Civil War, and World War II), and a fifty-year “socio-economic cycle” that has seen the formation of the industrial classes, baby boomers, and the middle classes. These two major cycles are both converging on the late 2020s—a time in which many of these foundations will change. The United States will have to endure upheaval and possible conflict, but also, ultimately, increased strength, stability, and power in the world.
Friedman’s analysis is detailed and fascinating, and covers issues such as the size and scope of the federal government, the future of marriage and the social contract, shifts in corporate structures, and new cultural trends that will react to longer life expectancies. This new book is both provocative and entertaining.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/252382/the-storm-before-the-calm-by-george-friedman/

Wonder if I could get away these days with the anecdote about the 4 classes of Mondays!

1Mo'teas
2Moan'backs
3Do'Dahs
4Dija'checks

Quien Sabe,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/19/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.