Originally Posted by BC30cal
...We're good so far, but for the first time in our 28 years on the place am now going to look at building a sprinkler system for the roof of the house and one for the garage as well.

Was talking to a firefighter friend and he said it was cheap insurance, not 100% of course as if the power goes out there's no water pressure, but he's seen them work reasonably well protecting houses situated like ours is.

We'll now have to see if any components are available whatsoever anymore as there's not much of - well much - around anymore somehow. ...

I was thinking of you when reading of the fire around Okanagan Falls. Hope you're still "intact."

As regards roofotop sprinkler systems, this website has a ot of good information: http://www.onestopfire.com/sprinklers.htm
If you lurk on Canadian Gunnutz, there is an extensive thread on "Fire season is on us again" and around page 7 there is some discussion and some good pictures, about rooftop aprinkler systems. If you have a good supply of water, you can really hose down the area around the house. As regards power, a generator, if you have an electric pump, or a gas trash pump will keep you in business.

After the last bad set of wildfires in 2017 I put roofop sprinklers on my house- one on the end of each gable, and one down on the well house. I have a 2" gas pump which will provide about 50 psi to feed the three Rainbird 1" impact sprinklers. I don't have a lake or convenient stream but I do have two underground water tanks (which I fill from the drains from my metal roof via a diverter) with about 3,000 imperial gallons total. This fall I plan on pumping them out via the gas pump to see how long I can water the area, but I estimate about 3 1/2 hours, which would barely be anough, I suppose. We aren't really in danger of a wildfire down here in Mission in the Fraser Valley (I HOPE) but if there were indications that this might be a possibility with the hotter summers, I could add another 2500 gallon above-ground tank and fill it via the pump/tanks in the fall and spring.

Given the conditions we seem to be facing in the summers now, investing in a good fire suppression system would seem to be money well spent.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.