Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
After the original tang safety Model 77, Ruger came out with the Mark II which had the three position safety and the long, non-rotating extractor but was still push feed. There was a slight lip which went all the way around the bolt face so the round had to be chambered and then the extractor snapped over it.

After a while they ground off the bottom of that lip and made it a true CRF, then later came out with the Hawkeye series which had a different stock design and different trigger.

The main thing to look out for with the original Model 77's is that they were made during Ruger's cheap barrel period, you could get a good one or it could be total crap.* Sometime around the 90's Ruger began producing their own barrels which were and still are good to very good.

All this IIRC.

* Friend of mine in the mid-70's had a standard Sporter model .220 Swift that was decently accurate by the standards of the day, at least it would put five shots into an inch or just under. Later on in the early-mid 80's I had a heavy barrel tang safety "Varmint" model 25-06 that wouldn't group anything into less than 2" and most loads into around 3". Very frustrating rifle that went down the road to a guy who just wanted to shoot deer in his back yard with it, a task for which it was well suited.

I've had 3 (still have 2- never should have sold the 77V in 25-06) tangers, none of the rest..

Had the same experience with the V, except when I started using hand-loaded fire-formed, neck-sized only brass, it went to MOA or better from about 5" MO factory ammo (oversized chamber?). Killed over 20 caribou with it and handholds out to 500+ yards. Average probably 300 or so.

I've had no accuracy issues with the 30-06 (17 inch bbl after I whacked the bulge off the end, bought used....) 1/4" MOA most anything factory- never reloaded for it), have killed to 375 yards or so with it, nor with the .338WM (also bought used). 338 is MOA or less with fire-formed, shoulder -sized brass. Factory belt-chamber- sized goes 1/4 to 1/2 inch larger group sizes. I can live with 1 1/2 MOA in a 338WM. If I must.... I've killed 2 caribou (about 15 seconds apart) , at 250 yards or so with it, one moose at 140, and at least half a dozen more under 100 yards.. Good enough is good enough, sometimes.

The V was factory standard, un-tweaked (my first 77). The other two are glass bedded, free-floated, factory triggers tweaked down to 3-3 1/2 trigger pull weight. I prefer 2 1/2, but they will do.

Mechanically, and on the bench, never a problem, as long as clearances are met. Just had to scrape a couple thousands off my full- receiver bedding on the '06 for safety wire clearance, which was rubbing and a bit stiff. Smooth now! Not sure how that suddenly came to be/ after decades of no-problem.

On my 77s, the bolt is locked down, on safe. As on all tangers, I think. Safety must be moved off to unload a chambered round - I can live with that, but 3 position safeties have their points! I surely do like my Rem 725, and Win 70 for that reason.

Oh yeah - If you are going hunting with the thing, it's best not to leave the bolt behind on the cleaning bench. smile

Last edited by las; 09/09/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.