Originally Posted by Jim270
I've had about 5 total, all in Mark ll's. I'm down to one now. It started life as a .280 Rem, barrel was junk, by the time I got it to shoot the way I wanted I could have bought 2 Remington's, but loved the wood stock so couldn't send it down the road.

They are basically a hunting rifle and that's it. I'm pretty sure no one has won a bench rest match with one, and I don't think anyone has won at Camp Perry with one. I've heard Jack Hill (Sierra bullet guy, one of the J's in J4 bullet jackets) that Bill Ruger gave John Buhmiller a 77 action and told him to build a shooter on it. Later Buhmiller gave it back to Ruger and told him that you have to start with something first.

No one said they were a benchrest or camp perry rifle. They do shoot well enough for what they are: A hunting rifle. Like a good Winchester model 70. They are hunting rifles and serve you very well. To get them to shoot acceptably well, you have to be willing to tinker a bit and be knowledgeable of the system. They can be fine tuned very well and most have great barrels, so you can wring them out quite a bit. I've had many that shot 1/2" or better groups, but after many trick moves and that was with factory barrels. If the idiot that you speak of couldn't get a Ruger m77 to shoot well, that is on his incompetence. Not the rifles. Just fu cking saying..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I used this 338wm for years. It was my "go to" for elk hunting. Not just because it shot so well. It was extremely dependable. There is a reason someone started this thread, titled "Ruger M77's". Some guys actually like them and appreciate them for what they are. Some guys cry and make excuses for what they are not or what they can't make them..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA