Originally Posted by BWalker

A cheaply cast action that requires workers to beat the hell out of it with a brass mallet after casting isn't my idea of well made. The completely unfinished bolt races are not indicative of any sort of fit and finish. They are simply cheaply made, blocky, ugly, yet reliable guns.

They may not be as refined as other rifles out there, ones that chiefly cost more. There's really little comparison between the "fit and finish" on my M77s and M70s. I think the new iterations of the M70 are outstanding. My M70s cycle more smoothly, seem to be slightly more accurate with the same ammo, and have a far better trigger. That said, I like my M77s as much as my M70, maybe more. The clunky, rattley, unrefined, yet perfect function, and respectable accuracy of the M77 is a draw for me. My CRF models may have been, and one still is, sloppy in that area, but I've never jammed one on the range or hunting. They all fed, and feed, and eject perfectly. I've got no complaints. I look at them they way I look at a Redhawk versus a Model 29, or a GP100 versus a 686, or a Jeep TJ versus a Tahoe. Not quite as polished, but still that raw utilitarianism is very attractive.

Ruger has managed to produce some lookers though, that function as good as they look. My 1992 MkII Express functions perfectly and I think it look amazing in that Circassian walnut.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]