Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Boomer, he shts on Ruger products any chance he gets.

Some folks get caught up on the investment casting, it has worked very well for Ruger for a very long time.

My first mk ll was $500 new, my second mk ll was $450 on sale.

Nowadays, my two used Hawkeyes were right at a grand a piece. I agree that prices for hunting rifles is a bit high.

Nothing I said isn't true. I've no problems with rugers. I shot my first deer with one, which I still own. However, you can't claim they are anything but a cheaply made clunky gun. At $500 they aren't bad. Anything over that is ridiculous.

You look at what they went for new back when the mk ll came out, and what a dollar is worth today, the inflation is just about on par.

My Hawkeyes are rugged, simple, accurate and built purdy darn well by hard working Americans. They're also chambered in some excellent cartridges that bare the Ruger name. The Hawkeye 77s are priced at about a week's worth of pay, still meeting Bill Ruger's original intent.

They could do a better job occasionally on final fit and finish. Hopefully they might offer a cust shop Ruger 77 someday.

I'd personally like new Mauser 98s, to replace my Ruger Hawkeyes. But at $12,000 a piece that wouldnt be a weeks worth of pay in my world.

A cheaply cast action that requires workers to beat the hell out of it with a brass mallet after casting isn't my idea of well made. The completely unfinished bolt races are not indicative of any sort of fit and finish. They are simply cheaply made, blocky, ugly, yet reliable guns.

Pretty cool process, watching these guys work away. A machine to knock the casting off, then another machine to blast small steel particles to remove any casting residual. In combination with all the metullurgy checks, looks bit more professional than what you claim: