Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Nothing wrong with a single stage press for the most part, and it has been my path since 1970, with exception of supporting shotguns for clays. Use a MEC progressive for that. I don’t load for machine guns so life is good. I doubt that progressive presses are useful for pursuing precision.

Factoring cost of time in pursuit of the pastime is absurd. Saving money? Maybe, maybe not. Check prices on .416 Rigby ammo and get back in touch. For that matter, just about any ammo price these days is nutz. Components aren’t cheap these days, but the prices will drop in time, and a little common sense applied to component purchase will go a fair ways down the road. Another option is casting. One can scrounge or purchase lead and even today $1/# is doable. One pound will make about 13 Quigley bullets, or ~155 Hornet bullets. Do the math.

I have little use for hot cartridges or whiz-bang velocity, but precision gives me a smile. Factory ammo is generally better these days, but I have found none other than .22 RF that I can’t beat. Sooner or later I’ll win the RF Derby.

Good points dan. For the guys that say they don't save money on reloading, they are doing it wrong for sure. The thing that pops into my head is this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

10 shots of pure enjoyment. Lets see what 10 shots would cost if that would have been factory ammo:

Nosler 9.3x62mm ammo $117.99/box

That ammo is $117.99/box, so that fun group would have cost me $59.00. Yet, it cost me no more than $6.00 for components. Guys get some really silly ideas here at times. No logic or real life experiences based opinions. You see it in many threads here. Makes your head spin.

Just for chits and giggles, how much do you think it would cost to load up some 270 winchester ammo with this bag of bullets I recently bought:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yes, that is $5.00/bag of 100. My only thought is if reloading isn't costing a guy less money, that guy is not buying right. Even in times like these, you can still find good deals out there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA