I have been shooting the Berger 210gr VLD since they were introduced in my 300 WinMag, back then they did not make a Hunting and a Target. I'm guessing they are the same as today's Hunting bullet.
This bullet is the most accurate non-custom bullet I have ever shot, I used this combo for years shooting rockchucks well past 1000yds. As for big game I would have to say I had more limited success, used it on several long range deer with great success. When I was a guides assistant about 10 years ago the client used this rifle to shoot a Desert Bighorn in southern Nevada. The only shot we could get on this Ram was just over 700yds, she was not comfortable with her rifle so I dialed my gun in for her. One shot done, but the exit was softball size. not ideal for a full body mount trophy.
The one debacle I had with this bullet was on an antelope hunt a few years ago, I had snuck up to 150yds on a nice buck pulled the trigger and watched the bullet blow up on impact, I don't think it penetrated an inch !!!!!!!!
it blood shocked every ounce of meat.
To me the longer the range the better this bullet works, at close range I think there are better choices.
I love this bullet but would NEVER use it on an Elk hunt