Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have suggested this before in various places, but tend to believe that one reason some people have problems with penetration when using Berger VLDs is pushing them to high muzzle velocities--apparently because "long-range bullet" still equates to muzzle velocities well over 3000 fps with many hunters.

Have never used Berger Hunting VLDs stated at over 3000 fps, and have also never seen one disintegrate on impact. Yet they have expanded very well at ranges out to 600 yards.

Years ago, in fact, I tried to "blow up" a Berger VLD on bone, as I recall a 168 VLD started at around 2850-2900 fps from a .30-06. The "test" animal was a feral billy goat in New Zealand, weighing around 200 pounds. I'd already killed it with a lung shot behind the shoulders, but put one through the big joint of the shoulder at 10 feet. The bullet worked the ways Berger Hunting VLDs normally do at such velocities , not expanding until it passed through the bone and entered the chest.

But have heard from other hunters who somehow decided that starting Hunting VLDs at well over 3000 fps would work well at shorter range. One of these was a guy who was shooting Texas feral pigs under the typical corn-feeder at around 100 yards, using the 140-grain VLD from a .264 Winchester Magnum at well over 3000 fps. He reported bullet blow-ups with shoulder shots. Well, gee!

Its simply amazing to me that anyone thats been around hunting or loading a bit couldn't take an educated guess that somewhat more frangible bullets and high speed shouldn't mix. I mean its just that easy. Almost like slow rounds and long distances barnes might not be the best choice. Though 2300 worked again on a TTSX the other evening. Just fine.

I'm not just sure where common sense went to. Though at times even I have a lack of it, generally speaking have had no issues.

And the simplicity of knowing that if you are at or over 3000 fps MV maybe you should think a bit harder about choice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....