Originally Posted by HE112
My friend and I got into a debate, she said most people who died in Auschwitz, died from the gas chamber, I said the greater number perished from poor diet, overwork and disease. The average life expectancy was 6 weeks to 3 months. I have read numerous books and autobiographies and the gas chambers came later in the camp's life, I think it was 1943. As it is doubtful that we will ever know the exact details, the Germans were meticulous record keepers. Anyone have an idea which two categories did the most killing?

Auschwitz II (or "Birkenau") was about 2 miles away from the main prison/concentration camp.

Birkenau is where ‘selektion’ was conducted at the rail ramp. Women, children, meek, weak and old were sent immendiately to the showers. It was actually the true ‘death camp’ for pure purposes of extermination of pure, 1st order, 2nd order jewry and gypsies (romas)

Auschwitz 3 was purely a work labor camp for the local rubber manufacturing works

In all sites, the goal was ultimately to work the piss out of someone on limited calories.

There were about 45 subcamps that made up the whole vast complex over several square miles. Medical experiments and admin were conducted at the main camp I. Shooting were done on the black wall between Block 10-11 of the barracks rows.