Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by RAS
This was the Nazis preferred method of extermination. Many believe that many more died this way than any other method.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_Plan
This is the only thing that gets me. Everything about the Holocaust is about the Jews. I'm of Ukrainian/Slovak descent and all the Slavs killed are mostly ignored.

Because in many Jews' eyes, slavs are the subhuman enemy. They do not talk about the number of slavs' deaths because slavs do not count.

FTR, I am not a slav.

============================

Being captured by the losing side in an industrial age, continent-spanning war is a harrowing experience. Even with the best of intentions, huge numbers/proportions of prisoners will die from malnutrition, typhus, and the like without any ill will.

Truth and Lies mean different things to different people:
https://www.eliewieseltattoo.com/elie-admits-his-true-stories-never-happened/
In a book first published in 1968, Legends of Our Time, Wiesel tells the story of that same visit to the rabbi this way: The Rebbe is troubled to learn that Wiesel has become a writer, and wants to know what he writes. “Stories,” Wiesel tells him, “…true stories”:

About people you knew? “Yes, about people I might have known.” About things that happened? “Yes, about things that happened or could have happened.” But they did not? “No, not all of them did. In fact, some were invented from almost the beginning to almost the end.” The Rebbe leaned forward as if to measure me up and said with more sorrow than anger: That means you are writing lies! I did not answer immediately. The scolded child within me had nothing to say in his defense. Yet, I had to justify myself: “Things are not that simple, Rebbe. Some events do take place but are not true; others are—although they never occurred.”

Elie Wiesel admits to the same in several interviews and books over time. IOW, this is not some isolated quote taken out of context and twisted.

======================

FYI, here are some photographs of Union prisonerss kept by the Confederacy who survived the ordeal:

Liberated from a prisoner cmap outside of Richmond, Virginia
[Linked Image from tile.loc.gov]

Liberated from Andersonville prisoner camp in GA
[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

Andersonville, again
[Linked Image]

I visited the site of a UNION prisoner camp in Rock Island, IL. Reading the little placards and looking at the graves, it seems that typhus killed most of those who died. And a lot of them died, to include guards who came down with typhus. So even prisoners of the winning side tend to die in job lots during these large industrial age wars.

And similar photos can be had of prisoners of Japan, but time runs short.

Being captured by the losing side in an industrial age, continent-spanning war is a harrowing experience. Even with the best of intentions, huge numbers/proportions of prisoners will die from malnutrition, typhus, and the like without any ill will.

Yeah, war is nasty. Between 8 and 11 million Slavs were murdered by the Nazis. Plus the Jews and Romani, etc. Probably a majority of the deaths in the camps were from a combination of malnourishment and disease. This idea that they were gassed with an insecticide makes a lot less sense than the Nazis fumigating them to prevent the spread of Typhus. It also seems a lot more cost-effective to murder prisoners with bullets instead of Zyklon B but the stories are less compelling that way.