Originally Posted by MTGunner
Want opinions on electric vehicle charging in an attempt to research whether to sell current sedan, very low mileage 2017 Nissan Maxima Platinum model, verses buying new electric vehicle. Our Maxima is nearly 5 model years old with 17, 500 plus miles on the odometer.
My thoughts are to build a solar charging station on the roof of the house. Any sedan vehicle does not get used in bad weather or for long trips. My truck is our go to long haul vehicle.
What is this basic charge time, amp requirement for say a Tesla
. How many volt/amp hours are we talking.
I am a retired power plant, large electric plant electrician that could do all work. Would only need materials. Our house is situated with good sunlight and could erect medium to large solar array.
Opinions, information, yours thoughts. Thanks for the help. MTG

Easily found, thinking it may take one hell of a solar array.

The recommended home charging installation for Tesla vehicles is a 240 volt NEMA 14- 50 outlet. This outlet is commonly used for electric ranges and large recreational vehicles. Installed with a 50-amp circuit breaker, this outlet enables a recharge rate of about 25 miles per hour.
Consult a licensed electrician to review the electrical load of your home prior to installation. They will design your charging system and obtain a permit for a general purpose NEMA 14-50 outlet from your local building department. After installation, the electrician will schedule an inspection to approve the new electrical circuit and design.
This guide provides reference for specifications to install this outlet. Since each installation is custom to the home, all hardware for the NEMA 14-50 outlet will be provided by your electrician.
 Voltage: Single phase, 208-250 volt AC supply, 60 hertz 

 Circuit Breaker: 50 amp (125% overcurrent protection)
 Operating Current: 40 amp (maximum continuous current)
 Conductors: 6 AWG, Copper Wire Only. Upsize wiring for installations over 150 feet
 Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter: Not required 

 Service Disconnect: Not required 

 Receptacle Recommendation: High quality, industrial grade receptacle

Examples: Hubbell part # HBL9450A, Cooper part #5754N
 Ventilation: Not required
 Outdoors: Install with NEMA 3R rainproof enclosure

Swifty