Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As I have predicted several times in threads like this, the future of long distance electrics lies in "filling stations" where the battery is replaced by robots. It would resemble oil change places. You'd pull in and park over the robot, which would remove the battery from under your vehicle and replace it with a fully-charged one. You'd be billed for the difference in charge state ( a "half tank" of juice versus an empty, etc) and you'd be gone in a few minutes. To facilitate this, there'd be only two or three standardized battery sizes, and vehicles would be designed to facilitate the process. The exchanged ones would be charged at the station and stored for their next use.

You'd only plug in when at home or in town.

Just don’t see that happening. A company couldn’t make any return on its investment doing this. Spend maybe $10,000 per battery and if they charged enough to make a profit it would cost the EV owner way more than using gasoline. They would need 1,000’s of batteries, storage facilities, machinery to change them out, etc etc
When our interstates contain charging grids that will charge EV’s as they are driven is when EV’s become more common than ICE vehicles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.