Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Buying an electric vehicle can make sense in some applications. A commuter car would be one if them. I just installed a fast charger for a buddy. His commuter bill went from $200 a month in fuel to $45 extra on the electric bill. He bought the car used for $25k. It’ll take 14 years to pay for itsself via energy savings, but he needed a new car anyway so he considers it a win.

They only make sense if nothing breaks or none of the batteries puke out. The odds of one of those happening is pretty high after a few years. I'd rather have a used Corolla.

You’re forgetting that ICE powered cars require maintenance too. I’m not going electric as I often have to travel extended distances. 500 miles in a Ram 1500 today.

all require maintenance. Question is normal maintenance vs normal battery replacement. I"ve heard 5000 to replace battries or more. I can replace a complete engine for that myself. Can still actually rebuild one less than 2500 I'm guessing. Having one done by a god child now will be only parts and less than 1000.

I'd be a willing man to be that as the demand for more electricity goes up as we think we are going to abandon a proven energy source that 50 buck bill is going to get a whole lot closer to 200.

Its not that it can't even out in the end. It could I simply say its a lot of work to break even in the end. It certainly won't get ahead at least with current tech.

Never mind the available carbon fuel reserves vs battery material reserves IIRC.

I'm not against anything new. But it has to make sense.

Since this is a gun place, I liken it to the AR15. Used to be somewhat useless and unproven. Many didn't like it. I didn't because it was short range. And felt weird. Along comes years of tech and the AR feels perfect to me and I've shot it successfully out to 1000 yards and more and taken game to almost 600 so far with only the 223 round and we have many other calibers in the safe to boot.

Will certainly at least be a learning curve as to how these things work.

If we didn't use 4WD and carrying capacity and had extra cash I'd be willing to buy a used one or cheap one just for putting around to town and back on most days. just to see.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....