I read on the Tesla website a few years ago that you can order a model S, their flagship high end luxury car with 3 ways to charge. 110 volts would take 8 hours to charge, 220 about 3 hours, and their supercharging stations of 440 volts, 45 minutes. No one should let the vehicle go completely dead. Just like gasoline when you reach about 1/4 of a tank or 1/4 of a charge left, get the thing charged. They had an extended range version that was supposed to go 320 miles on a charge at 70 mph. This is over 4 hours driving. There is a supercharging station 2 miles from my house. I have considered it. Tesla is also going to offer a solar package for campers that you can carry in the back of your car or their new truck, that can fold out and charge the vehicle in about 2 days. Slow, but if you go camping and stay a couple of days or longer, can get your vehicle charged. Their truck is supposed to go 500 miles on a charge. You have to pay extra for the extended range batteries. Mileage is also decreased if you are towing a boat or camper, or running faster than 70 mph or using the air conditioner for extended periods. Tesla has chargers all over the country and they follow the interstate system. They have also struck deals with hotels to put them at hotel locations to charge overnight. They should also put them a camping locations too. Tesla knew they would need charging stations so they began to install them as soon as they started selling cars. The sold about 1 millon cars last year.

Also, one university has developed a way to make a cheaper battery using lithium sodium instead of cobalt. Sodium is cheaper and is found in salt. It can charge faster and go further for less money. They are figuring out how to make this battery in mass production. It could power your phone for days without charging. So battery technology is catching up. Power is cheaper than fuel, and you don't have to change oil.