Originally Posted by Waders
I have a friend who (1) is legally blind, and (2) likes high-end 1911's. He likes to shoot but can't see well enough to zero them or determine their accuracy. I "help" him by shooting his guns for him--I'm just a good guy who's willing to help a buddy! smile Hence, I have shot quite a few Nighthawks, Ed Brown's, and Wilson Combat's . I also used to shoot bowling pins with a bunch of guys who own a wide variety of 1911's. Naturally we shoot each other's guns to see what we like.

Anyhoo...compared to production guns (Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Rugers, etc.) there just isn't any difference in performance. Making a functional 1911 isn't exactly a secret or even difficult. The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

My two cents (and I'm sure I'll get change back) is this: handle them and buy the one that resonates with you, the one that makes you smile. Get the one you love looking at, that fits your hand, and makes you feel incomplete when you put it down. That's what you're paying for--not an advantage in accuracy or functionality.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics!

Good points Wade. Rick posted some damn nice pistols. I'd probably pick the Les Baer myself, but I have buddies that have the Ruger 1911's and they are damn good for the money. They shoot exceptionally well and always go bang. Have very nice triggers and feel good in the hand. If I were just looking for a really good 1911, that is probably what I'd buy. If I wanted to impress my friends, I'd buy the Les Baer. However, how much better would the Les do vs a Ruger in say a bowling pin shoot? Probably not enough difference to impress anyone.. For the money, the Ruger would be the better pistol IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA