Rick Bin: Best of luck with whichever "1911" you choose!
I mostly wanted to let you know how much I appreciated/enjoyed this thread - it reminds me of days long past here on the CampFire.
Sadly I have to draw the line below the recoil of the full house 45 ACP pistols.
My right hand has suffered several "duty related" injuries including several broken bones and the ligament was torn loose from my thumb to my wrist.
Heavy recoil versus my right hand just is to painful to endure for long.
So I admire the 45's (and 44 Magnums!) from afar. I can endure a heavy framed 357 Magnum for a cylinder full or two.
But what I do want to add is one of my former partners who was a firearms instructor and Distinguished Expert pistol shooter and qualified to be on our large departments travelling pistol team now uses the Wilson Combat 1911's for his personal carry and for his serious range uses - he has three Wilson 1911's - two in 45 and one in 9m/m.
I have inspected them all over the last several years and the quality of workmanship is just stunning to me. One of his Wilson Combat 1911's was just under $4,000.00 cost wise but it is an absolute thing of beauty.
He was also an "armorer" on our large department and is, in my opinion, an expert when it comes to pistols.
IF.... I were to acquire a 1911 frame pistol today I would look first at the amazing Wilson Combat line.
In fact the Wilson Combat 1911 that I have been lusting after of recent is the Vickers Elite Commander in 9m/m.
Again best of luck with whichever you choose and let us know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy