Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

A lot of people are unaware that a 1X scope cannot have a larger objective; it's the nature of the beast. You have to tailor all the components together to produce the desired result. In this case, the LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic) is designed to give a true 1X at the bottom end. If you look at the specifications for the March 1-4.5X24, for example, you will see that the exit pupil is 16mm at 1X. Why not 24mm you say, because optics. I would think a fixed 1X24 scope could have an exit pupil of 24mm, but when you have a zoom, that changes. However, the 16mm is more than twice as much as the human eye can use, so that makes it very easy to get behind that scope. Yes, at 4.5X, the exit pupil is indeed 5.33mm (24/4.5). That will be the same for the other LPVOs; the 1X exit pupil will never be 24mm, but it will be far larger than human eye can use and the top end will be (obj-diameter/magnification).

Always learning at my advanced age! Thanks for posting that.

My problem with the very high magnification scopes, for my type of hunting, is that there will always be an "ol [bleep]" moment (or two) that arises when you bring the rifle up to shoot and, yes, the scope was left on high power and now you can't see what you want to shoot. Or you can see the ticks on that critter you want to shoot.

I see some March scopes in my future (probably the 1.5-15x42 - for Varmints!). Price does not bother me as, in Optics, you generally get what you pay for. And good [bleep] lasts a loooong time.