Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Who is the "He" who invaded Yugoslavia?

Wasn't the U.S. military involvement in the former Yugoslavia as part of a UN peacekeeping mission under UN resolution 713? That started when GHWB was POTUS. Yugoslavia had already broken up into Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia. The last president of Yugoslavia as Tito and he died in 1980.

Yeah. I remember reading that somewhere in the US Constitution where it says the US President is the Commander In Chief of the United States Military to carry out the military desires of the United Nations. Yeah, that's right. Thanks for the reminder. Is that Article II? I want to look it up.

It seems as though POTUS can choose to commit the U.S. military to action under the umbrella of the UN whenever it suits him to do so. The Korean War was the first UN policing action, but there have been many more since 1950 and all of them probably had some level of U.S. support. I served in the MFO, which was, or wasn't, operating under the umbrella of the UN, depending who you asked, when I was in the Sinai in late 1983.