Originally Posted by aboltfan
Congrats on the tag. A cow tag would be fine with me as well. Moose is my favorite game meat. I trust this hunt will be material for a future article.

Question, will this hard to get tag require your most dependable rifle or will you go exotic with the hunt being close to home?

Thanks!

The area I drew for contains a no-rifle Montana Wildlife Management area north of our little town along the Missouri River--about six square miles of ideal moose habitat. The legal "weapons" are bows, handguns chambered in "traditional" straight-cased handgun rounds, and muzzle-loading rifles, including "modern" muzzleloaders. This is where Eileen filled her antlerless moose tag in 2007, using my Remington 870 12-gauge with standard-velocity Federal 2-3/4" 1-ounce loads--which are almost unobtanium anymore, since apparently even whitetails can't be killed with anything less than 3" magnum 12-gauge ultra-velocity ammo.

On the WMA, I am tempted to use my 7-1/2" Ruger Bisley .45 Colt with 305-grain FN cast bullets, but would probably opt for the same 870 with good slug loads. Dunno what rifle I might use for hunting in the mountains west of the WMA, but it might be the custom Griffin & Howe 1903 Springfield I acquired earlier this year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck