Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I appreciate everyone here who was Drafted/Served, Volunteered, or Enlisted. I agree that not everyone is cut out for Military duty, and this is a "terrible time" to Volunteer/Enlist. There IS a difference between a Draft to "fill the Ranks, etc" and a Draft to "replace thousands of casualties" in a Hot War. I'm talking about a War that is on every American's mind, not "hidden off to the side, i.e. the War on Terror. I'm not talking about the latter, as then, all bets are off! But "right now", I just don't see anything wrong with putting young people to work for 2 years, putting the proverbial boot up their butt to motivate them and then giving them GI Benefits later. And its a "pipe dream" of mine that it would "start with the Draft Dodgers kids". But that's just me. In no way do I even think everyone on this Board has the same Worldview that I do, ha, its "just us guys" throwing around Opinions. I appreciate everyone's input/reaction.
What about the no "involuntary servitude except as punishment for a crime"? Military draft seems unconstitutional. Just as the 2nd amendment doesn't allow exceptions neither does the 13th.

And I don't see the eagerness to draft children of politicians or "draft dodgers". Do we punish children for the perceived misdeeds of the parents as a way of punishing the parents? For all we know the children don't approve of their parents either.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."