Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hell, I dodged it. Wanted to be an Aviator and in order to do that, one needs to be an officer and to do that, you need a college degree. BTW, the Vietnam War had the least number of draftees ~ 25% whilst WWII had the most, right at 62%

source

My take on the reason for such a lower percentage of draftees during the Vietnam War versus WWII is many more had the choice to enlist voluntarily for just a 1 year longer commitment and getting trained and assigned to field they qualified in and serving stateside, Europe, etc., rather than being drafted and sent to a combat unit in Vietnam.

As always, though, ... YMMV

The statistic specifically refers to draftees who fought in Vietnam. Just another myth we drafted to send over there when that was not the case. Same as the myth most of the men over there were minorities, when in fact, it was quite the opposite

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”