Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I'm not quite there, but its getting close! I drove trucks/moved drilling rigs/rigging,etc for 20 yrs in my early adulthood. Replaced both knees, left hip ( yep, my clutch leg/knee!) plate in neck. I can take alot of recoil, but I am noticing some subtle changes. some days worse than others. So, for the bad days, I am thinking of a lighter weight/lighter recoiling (muzzle brake is fine) but not ultra-lightweight ( I can't shoot them well) rifle for elk. (I was thinking the Kimber Pro Hunter Dissolve in 280AI or '06 w/brake might be too light?) I limit myself to around 300yds anymore also.

For hayfield, etc cow elk, I have a sweet older Mod 700 25-06. I am scrounging up an older Remington 700 Model 78 30-06 that has been set in an older wood, ADL stock. Limbsaver and a brake would do nice. I like the older Model 700 Mountain Rifles and of course the older Mod 70 FWT. Anyone travelled this route for this reason?

Since you like Remington's, have you considered a nice 722 or 7 in a 300 savage? Run some monometals like the 130gr Barnes.. I remember my 722 300 savage was a sweet shooter with no recoil.. That's the route I'd lean because I don't like loud azzed brakes on a hunting rifle..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA