Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I'm not quite there, but its getting close! I drove rig-up trucks/moved drilling rigs/30 ton tandem, rigging,etc for 20 yrs in my early adulthood. No automatic transmissions, all 4 speed Brownlight and 5 speed standards, reach around and work winch levers, etc) Replaced both knees, left hip ( yep, my clutch leg/knee!) plate in neck. I can take alot of recoil, but I am noticing some subtle changes in my right shoulder. While it isn't freezing up, etc, it gets sore; some days worse than others. So, for the bad days, I am thinking of a lighter weight/lighter recoiling (muzzle brake is fine) but not ultra-lightweight ( I can't shoot them well) rifle for elk. (I was thinking the Kimber Pro Hunter Dissolve in 280AI or '06 w/brake might be too light?) I limit myself to around 300yds anymore also.

For hayfield, etc cow elk, I have a sweet older Mod 700 25-06. I am scrounging up an older Remington 700 Model 78 30-06 that has been set in an older wood, ADL stock. Limbsaver and a brake would do nice. I like the older Model 700 Mountain Rifles and of course the older Mod 70 FWT. Anyone travelled this route for this reason?

My advice begins with "get closer." The reason is, for any given bullet, the farther you shoot the faster your bullet has to leave the muzzle to retain velocity to expand when it arrives. The faster it's gotta start the more it's going to kick. The next item of advice, is either a heavier rifle, a brake, or a suppressor to reduce recoil. I think you can do just fine with a .270, 7mm-08, .280, .308, or '06 in a medium weight rifle if you manage the distance a bit, kill elk, and not get the hell kicked out of you. If you can't "get closer", then rethink where you're hunting. There is a way, just gotta find it.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...