Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I mentioned 30-06 as I really like the round, especially with 200s and even 220s, but they do kick. I also have (like most of us) more .30 cal stuff than others. I used a .280 a bit, then had it reamed to the Improved 30yrs ago. Good round, didn't need a brake even in the Mountain rifle. My last attempt at a decent shooting 7x57 flubbed on me. I mentioned my 25-06 only because so many older guys use them out here, even on elk. I never shot anything bigger than mule deer with mine. Keep the ideas coming guys! ( sorry you had to get your shoulder replaced SaddleSore)
The 25-06 is an elk killing machine, if the guy holding it can place the bullet in the right place.

A local family had a cattle ranch of several thousand acres mixed timber and sage brush elk paradise. Three brothers and a couple buddies took at least four bulls off of it every year for many years until Dad and Uncle sold the place off.

Between the bunch were five tang safety Ruger 77s in 25-06 with the magnum weight 24 inch barrel. Their guns shot so well, I bought the first one I found just like them in 1982.

The guys all loaded 120 gr Nosler solid base bullets..........until the Barnes X came out. They all immediately switched.

Like I said, these boys could shoot. I watched one brother knock over a running coyote just past 300 yds with one shot from his 25-06. Later that day, he put three into the sweet spot of a cow elk running at about the same distance.

Myself, I bought a Ruger #1 in 7 STW, just for elk, and I had been jonesing for the cartridge and a Ruger #1 for quite a while.

If in your situation, since you love that old '06, I would be loading it with some 180 partitions, or 165 mono metals to about 2600 fps. Then I would sight it dead on at 225 yds, and slay an elk.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.