My Church Deacon has a daughter who is small and weighs only 93 pounds, but is a real go-getter and wanted to hunt elk. So we conspired and he had me make an AR in 308 for her. AR308s are fairly heavy in the 1st place (most of the DPMS Patterns anyway) so I made the barrel 19" long and of a light weight contour. I used a long boring bar to take some weight out of the FF tube too. All together with a 10 round mag in it the rifle came out at 8 pounds 15 Oz. and the little girl carries it with no problems at all. I didn't get a picture of her and the elk, but I have these 2 of her with a WT doe and a mule deer buck.

She flops down on her belly and can hit my 6" steel gong at 300 yards, usually 10 out of 10. So a 12 year old skinny girl does just fine with such a riffle.

She doesn't mind a bit of weight but hates getting kicked. I have a large break on the muzzle and it takes the kick down a lot, as does the weight, and so does simply being an automatic. Shooting 165 grain bullets she has her rifle and feels she's good to go for anything from small antelope to elk. I have to agree. She's now 16 and in the last 4 years she'd helped to fill her family's freezer with deer, antelope and elk meat and took 2 shots on the buck deer in the pic, but all others have been 1 shot each.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_1694 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]KIMG0132~2 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]