Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I mentioned 30-06 as I really like the round, especially with 200s and even 220s, but they do kick. I also have (like most of us) more .30 cal stuff than others. I used a .280 a bit, then had it reamed to the Improved 30yrs ago. Good round, didn't need a brake even in the Mountain rifle. My last attempt at a decent shooting 7x57 flubbed on me. I mentioned my 25-06 only because so many older guys use them out here, even on elk. I never shot anything bigger than mule deer with mine. Keep the ideas coming guys! ( sorry you had to get your shoulder replaced SaddleSore)

I've seen ea lot of elk killed with a 243, but it makes me nervous every time, lol. While the 25 06 is at home with deer sized critters, my wife took her first elk with one and a 100 grain nobler partition, drt! After that I bumped it up to the 120, and id take an elk with it any day. Most of the mentioned calibers, 25 and above I agree with. Two of my three daughters carried a swede for elk, while the other packed a 7mm 08. Any of those would be fine and easy on the shoulder.