I suspect many that bad mouth brakes have either: never experienced the benefit of one, maybe were next to one on the range and the owner didn't take in account other shooters, or didn't have proper ear protection when they shot a rifle with one.

If others are present, I make sure I am at the end of the line and always mention to other shooters that I have a brake on my .06.

When out hunting, I wear electronic muffs.I don't walk around much anymore, so I put them on when I sit down.Amazing thing is all the noises you hear in the forest. Wear them walking around and you get an idea how much noise you make that elk hear.

Yes we can all go out and buy another rifle with a more moderate cartridge, but myself, I have a few rifles that have a lot of tradition behind them. I know them, they are comfortable to carry and shoot and hit where I point them. The brake on my .06 has allowed me to keep using it.

I have .243 that was given to me by my wife's grandfather before he past , but it has 1"bull barrel, an old Bausch and Lomb 8x scope that the adjustments are all in the mount, and set triggers. If you have and can use a .243 to kill elk kudus to you. I'm just an old fart set in my ways and don't consider it an appropriate elk rifle. No offense meant.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles