When I was in High School my older brother, 19 at the time, almost died in a bad oilfield accident. He was pinned between a pipe trailer that slipped off its jacks in a pouring rain and a drilling rig. It just about amputated his legs below the knee and he lost a ton of blood and had brain damage. He miraculously lived, but he was never the same person again after that accident, and had some bad mental issues...

It was really tragic for my entire family, of course, it was like he was there, but someone else took over his body and mind...It was really hard to see someone I looked up to struggle every single day like he did and not be able to do a darn thing about it. He had his whole life taken away in just a matter of seconds at a very young age. He never married or had children, and never had really much enjoyment in his adult life from all the mental issues and being crippled from the accident.

He passed away a couple of years ago (30 years since the accident), and I felt terrible because all I could think was praise God his suffering is over..I still remember how he was when we were young before the accident, how great an athlete he was at football and basketball, and how he always had a lot of friends, was never in any trouble, and was always smiling and happy... He was always looking out for me, and always spent time with me even though he was older and had lots of older friends around...We'd ride dirt bikes together and hunt and fish on my dad's farm when our dad wasn't working us...It really killed me when he told me one day he wished they had never put the turnicuts on his legs and just let him bleed out and die, I can't imagine how hopeless he felt...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 09/22/22.