DaveR…. Thanks for your reply. You are definitely on to something because I’ve seen it a lot, holding on until the loved ones leave. I understood the phenomenon even back then but grief can cause one to have thoughts that they otherwise wouldn’t have. When I left the room that morning I knew I wasn’t going to see grandpa in this life again but I wasn’t ready to give him up. I had the most incredible, vivid, real dream of my life the following night that until I die I’ll be absolutely convinced that grandpa was letting me know that he was “home”. It was a dream that brought me immeasurable comfort.

Several years ago mom went to Providence hospital for a simple surgery. It went well and she was feeling great looking forward to going home and excited to be back in church for the following Sunday since this was her first Sunday in 60 years of missing church. Overnight she’d gotten sepsis from the hospital and by the next evening we met as a family with the doctors to discuss DC’ing her life support. I sat next to dad (I’m the oldest of 5) and held his hand as he stoically asked the questions he needed answered before making the decision. We all went in to say our goodbyes but I went last. I don’t think dad or most of my other siblings could stay there while mom passed but once again I wasn’t going to leave mom’s side so I told the nurse to DC mom from life support while I kissed her forehead and thanked her for being my mom, the best anyone could hope for. I sang (poorly) a couple songs that mom loved and then I told her to let go and join the Lord that she has faithfully served all her life….we’d be ok and we’ll all take care of dad as well as each other. After I said those words her face relaxed and she went flatline. I silenced the machine so that the rest of the family didn’t have to hear that terrible sound.

In the years since mom passed her family has made her proud. We’re as close as we’ve ever been and we all look after dad. He lives with my younger brother and quit smoking….something mom bugged him to do for 50+ years. Mom is smiling down from heaven and I’m damn proud of my younger brothers and sisters.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~