Originally Posted by Longbob
How were these two outside? Almost looks like they were blown from their garage or something.

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]

Floaters.

150mph isn't so likely to blow a heavier car over before it'd of blown all the glass outta the front of that house.

Code don't allow for the underside of stilt homes to be enclosed, water has to flow through. You'll see some ground level walls but they have to be 'break-away' so they'll shear away in high winds or if pushed by flowing water.

Had a friend damn near killed by one when it fell over as he attempted to leave his stilt home during a storm.

When I see these homes, like this one, that people have spent millions building, idunno why I've never seen one with a elevated garage or parking built in at the same level as the home.

You know what a PITA it is carrying all you groceries, every piece of furniture and all your appliances up a set of stairs?

Maybe 5 to 10% of the stilt homes in my area have elevators but few are capable of accommodating furniture or appliances, maybe 1 in 100.

Of course real people that build in heavily flood prone areas, such as myself, build as well as they can, as simple as they can.

A realistic 12 or 1400 sf home that you can afford to replace if destroyed.
I put more into the decks around my home to make up for needed square footage for entertainment purposes.

Maybe it's the same for guys that own homes and cars such as the one in this image, they just have lots fatter bank accounts than I do. But if that's the case, why didn't they include an elevated enclosed garage in the build!