Originally Posted by las
Good luck - make sure you get it the first time.

Las is right. Usually you have one shot trapping a dog. If for any reason your efforts fail, the odds of the dog going in the trap again are infinitesimal.

We had the trap set to catch a setter. Setters have a long body. This dog was starving, but was super scared and untrusting of people. I happened to be checking the trap from a distance and saw the dog in the trap , stretching over the pan to reach the food. But it couldn’t reach the food, so eventually it stepped on the front of the pan. The movement of the pan and the noise of the falling door spooked it. With that long body and stretching to reach over the pan, its butt was right beside the door. When it spooked, it jumped backwards before the door was fully down. It was fast enough that its butt gave the falling door a good rap such that it bounced up, even though the lock rings were half way down. The dog was able to escape. I never got it to enter the trap again.

I don’t recall the resolution as I believe I was rotated to another part of the City as we were every 6-12 months. Also that was 96-97 or their abouts. That’s nearly 25 years ago, I can’t remember everything.

Last edited by AB2506; 12/08/22.