Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by denton
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by denton
What do Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States have in common? They are the only countries in the whole world that are not on the metric system. There is a reason practically all the world is metric. It's not because the metric system is less useful than SAE.

Actually if you had a clue you could see that the Metric system does not have any advantage over SAE, none and there are areas where SAE kicks Metrics azz.

Well, OK.....

How much heat energy is required to raise one quart of water 10 degrees Fahrenheit?

Vs..

How much heat energy is required to raise 1 liter of water 10 degrees C?

Or....

An object that weighs on pound on Earth is moved to a place in space where there is practically no gravity. How much force must be applied to accelerate it 10 feet/sec/sec?

Vs....

A 1 Kg object is moved to a place in space where there is practically no gravity. How much force must be applied to accelerate it 3 meters/sec/sec?

In both cases, someone who understands metric can answer the second question in 1 second flat. Try the first questions, time yourself, and let us know if it took you less than that.

Metric is vastly easier, and fully as precise as our system. But if you grew up on our system, the transition is painful. The worst situation is a helter skelter mix of the two, which is what we have in the US.

If you are pondering theoreticals sure metric is easy but building anything is easier with SAE, every time. You seem to be missing the point. There are things not done on a calculator.

Those are most emphatically not theoreticals. They are everyday practical problems for a lot of technical people, and the metric system makes them MUCH easier, calculator or none. If you want to work in furlongs per fortnight, be my guest. If you think you can beat my time on the questions posed, post your results. If you don't like those, try these two equivalent problems....

What is the slope of a roof that has 3' 4 3/16" rise for 8' 2 1/8" of run?

vs.

What is the slope of a roof that has 1 meter of rise for 2.4 meters of run?

I've already done the second one in my head, while distracted by typing. Your answer for the first one? Quickly! No calculator, or even pencil and paper.

Be not weary in well doing.