Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
But the places with metric often have Celsius too. Which is less precise than fahrenheit.

So tell us how it's about precision and accuracy lol

Could be like 3 or four degrees colder or hotter, same temp in C
Is there an issue with measuring Celsius to the 0.001 degree C?

Please explain the rationale of having water freeze at 32 degrees vs 0 degrees.

Why is that significant?

Because mjbgalt says Celsius is less precise than Fahrenheit.

I'd like to hear how, and why.

Just told you. One degree of C could be several degrees of F...it is less precise.

Yes, but C is measured in tenths of a degree also.

And, there are only 100 degrees C between freezing and boiling points, instead of 180 degrees F which would appear to make C more precise than F, no?

It's a measuring system, just like any other measuring system. Cubits, rods and chains, parsecs, bushels and pecks, quarts and cups and ounces, etc to no end.

The difference, as I understand it, is it is in base 10 (decimal system) which makes it relatively easy to multiply and divide parts equally across the system.

Instead, certain parts of the West are still using measuring systems with differing, and somewhat more difficult to use, bases. Those, once learned and memorized, are easy enough for regular users to understand. Sometimes. I've known folks in their 40's that still have to look up how many quarts in a gallon and then how many ounces does that multiply out to. But, a liter is always 1000 milliliters. Or 100 centiliters. Or 10 deciliters. Easy peasy scheidt I tell you.

I say let's go back to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_units_of_measurement

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?